Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Recap

The Holidays are over now, my house is back together- at least as back together as it can be with two little ones, and it's now getting cold here in Baltimore and feeling like winter has definitely set in.

Today is the first day in a very long time that I've had time to just sit and catch up. Mikaela and Graeme have started to play together now and there are fewer interventions needed so if I need/want to do something I don't have to feel guilty about not being in the mix with them 100% of the time. Although I may have to step away if Dr. Mikaela gets carried away removing splinters and tries to cut off Graeme's toe, which happens sometimes.

November and December went by in a flash. Here's the recap:

November 5th- Graeme and Mikaela were baptised at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield, VA. Despite the fact that this momentous ocassion took place in the evening during a service with awful music, it couldn't have been more perfect. Neither child cried and they looked beautiful in their frilly outfits. Of course, I did not get any pictures because I was too tired and nervous to deal with a camera.

But, there was a pre-party at Nana & Granddads which was very nice. So here's some from that.















Thanks to Mike, Colleen, Claire and Grace for coming from Kansas. It meant a lot to us that you wanted to be there.

November 23rd- Mikaela turned 3. Can you believe it?! I can't. Mikaela has really been into birthdays this year so I was worried that with the move she wouldn't have one seeing as all her old friends are in Katy. But, school was off that week and her class is pretty small so we invited them all to a bounce party.

I did not sleep for two days before the event because there's a mom of one of the classmates that asked me why I was having the party at the Kangaroo Kidz Zone in Glen Burnie instead of another place in a nice suburb.

I should have said: 1) I don't feel like spending $500 for a bounce party for 8 kids 2) Glen Burnie is 6 miles from downtown where we live instead of 16 mile and closer for my family who will be bringing Mikaela from VA so she can be surprised instead of having to come with me early to set up and 3) if you don't like Glen Burnie then don't come

But instead, I felt the pressure and was up in the middle of the night worrying that it wasn't the best place and that everything was going to go wrong. The night before I almost rebooked in a different location because I found a coupon, but Dave set me straight and I'm so glad because the party was perfect and Mikaela (and all her school friends) had a blast. The only thing missing was our pals from Katy. I missed them that day for sure.









As is tradition on the 23rd of November to celebrate my birthday we had lobster and ice cream cake. I found out lobster is hard to come by here in crab country and more than $6.99/lb like at the HEB in Katy. I also managed to tell off the owner of the fish market and will not be buying from them again. Sometimes being a hothead is not that grand. Maybe next year we'll just go to Maine...



Mikaela's big gift was a dollhouse.



Thanksgiving- it was Graeme's 1st Thanksgiving. We hosted here in Baltimore. All the traditional fare was served and a good time was had by all.







Putting up the tree the day after Thanksgiving with Daddy-


I took a sort trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil the first week of December to visit the Campbells. When I got home Graeme turned 1! As is tradition in this family we did not throw him a party, but kept things simple with a nice dinner followed by cake. It took Graeme a while to get messy as he likes to use utensils when eating rather than his hands.







Presents


\



And then we hit the holidays. To be honest the days between Dec 8 and the 24th are a bit of a blur. I know there was a lot of time spent on the internet and some time spent at the malls.

Mikaela had her first visit with Santa. Last year she was too scared.



Graeme had his first visit too. Unlike Mikaela he was forced to sit on his lap.



We celebrated Christmas Eve with my family complete with the Children's service at Church which was actually short, sweet, and very great. Then we had chili, opened gifts and cruised around the neighborhood checking out lights. The night ended on a high note with a spotting of Dora and Boots.

Christmas Day we had brunch with the Hochbergs. It was a low country celebration with yummy shrimp and grits. Graeme took a killer nap and then we headed home to open the presents under our tree.

I did not box up on Boxing Day. The amount of stuff that needed to be organized was ridiculous and I thought it would be best to spend the day relaxing with Dave and the kids rather than tackle all that.

New Years Eve was fun. Nana and Granddad came to hang out with the kids while Dave and I went out for apps and drinks and then onto a little party in our bldg. We were in bed by 11 and missed the ball drop but it was nice to feel like young adults again rather than an old married couple with two young kids.

So, 2011 was a great year for the Hochbergs and 2012 has started out with a bang. Details to come.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! You are back to blogging! I've missed your posts and pictures. M & G are growing up too fast and are super cute. I knew you had a smart one on your hands when you told me about Graeme's head size. :) What could the bang be? Please don't make me wait three months....

    ReplyDelete